Vegan Potato Latkes
YIELD: 15 latkes (3" diameter)
- 1 package Mori-Nu Silken Tofu Extra Firm
- 2 flax “eggs” (2 tbsp flaxseed meal + 6 tbsp water)
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 packed cups peeled, grated, drained potatoes
- 1 small onion, grated
- Oil for frying
- Sour cream
- Pomegranate arils
- Chives, chopped
- In a small bowl, mix flaxseed meal with water and let sit for 10 min to form the flax “eggs.”
- Wrap tofu in a paper towel to soak up any extra water. Let sit, changing paper towels as necessary. Do NOT press.
- In another small bowl, mix together cornstarch, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- To a large bowl, add tofu (discard paper towels), then mash with a fork until broken up into little pieces.
- Add potatoes, onion, and flax "eggs." Mix well.
- Add cornstarch mixture, then mix well.
- Form into patties, then pan-fry in oil over medium heat until brown on both sides.
- Drain on paper towel-lined baking sheet or plate.
- Serve hot with optional sour cream, pomegranate arils, and chives.
- 3-4 medium russet potatoes will yield the 3 cups needed for this recipe.
- Drain grated potatoes by wrapping a handful at a time in cheesecloth, then squeezing out excess liquid. This will create a crispier latke.
- Allow some potato tendrils to hang off the edges for an even crispier texture.
- Enjoy these with apple sauce in addition to sour cream!
- PLANT-BASED: This recipe uses only plant-based ingredients.
- GLUTEN-FREE: Mori-Nu Silken Tofu Extra Firm is Certified Gluten Free!