Chocolate Citrus Glazed Donuts
YIELD: 6 donutsBake your own donuts at home with this delicious vegan donut recipe that pairs the winning combination of chocolate with citrus in a super moist donut with a mouth-watering glaze!
You won't miss the eggs, dairy, or gluten at all in this eggless, dairy-free, and gluten-free donut recipe where Mori-Nu Silken Tofu acts as a binder and provides a good source of protein for both the donut batter and the donut glaze.
Bring these vegan chocolate glazed donuts to your next office party or simply impress family and friends at home!
3/4 cup Mori-Nu Silken Tofu Firm
1/4 cup oil
3 tbsp maple syrup
1 flax "egg" (1 tbsp flaxseed meal + 3 tbsp water)
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup almond flour
3 tbsp cocoa powder, unsweetened
1 1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
Pinch of salt
1/4 cup Mori-Nu Silken Tofu Firm (refrigerate remaining tofu)
2 cups powdered sugar
1 tbsp orange or lemon zest
1 tsp vanilla extract
Orange or yellow food coloring (optional)
Candy sprinkles (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 375ºF and lightly grease donut pan.
2. In a blender, blend all WET ingredients together until smooth. Pour into a large bowl and set aside.
3. In a medium bowl, sift all DRY ingredients together and whisk until well-mixed.
4. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients, then mix until just combined. Do not over-mix.
5. Using a piping bag (no tip), carefully pipe the batter into each ring of the donut pan, making sure to avoid the center.
6. Bake 13 minutes until donuts are firm and spring back to the touch.
7. Meanwhile, in a blender, blend together all glaze ingredients except candy sprinkles.
8. Lay parchment paper underneath a wire cooling rack.
9. Remove donuts from oven and let cool in pan for 5 minutes, then invert onto wire cooling rack.
10. Once donuts are completely cooled, evenly spoon glaze on top of all donuts, allowing some glaze to drip down sides onto parchment paper. Sprinkle with optional candy sprinkles.
11. Donuts are best enjoyed immediately!
Recipe can be doubled for a dozen donuts.
In place of a piping bag, a large zip-top bag with the corner cut off can be used.
If glaze is too thin, add more powdered sugar. If glaze is too thick, add more tofu.
These donuts are soft and fluffy right out of the oven, but will firm up as they cool, so best to enjoy them right away!
PLANT-BASED: Mori-Nu Silken Tofu takes the place of eggs and dairy in this vegan recipe while adding moisture and plant-based protein.
GLUTEN-FREE: We used gluten-free 1-to-1 baking flour with excellent results! All of our tofu products are Certified Gluten Free. Make sure to check the labels on other ingredients.
PRODUCTS USED FOR THE RECIPE