Key Lime Pie
YIELD: 9" pieEnjoy the smooth and creamy flavors of key lime pie but without the eggs or dairy in this vegan key lime pie recipe that will be a showstopper at any get-together.
Mori-Nu Silken Tofu provides the creaminess for the filling while also adding plant-based protein for a decadent pie that you can feel good about. The traditional graham cracker crust can be made ahead of time, but once filled, the pie needs at least 4 hours to set, so plan accordingly. It will be worth the wait!
12-14 full sheets of graham crackers, to make 1 3/4 cups graham cracker crumbs
1/4 cup granulated sugar
6 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
2 packages Mori-Nu Silken Tofu Firm, room temperature
1/2 cup fresh lime juice
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 tsp agar powder
1 tbsp lime zest
Yellow or green food coloring
Lime slices, leaves, and/or zest
1. In a food processor, grind graham crackers into a fine crumb and preheat oven to 350 ºF.
2. In a medium bowl, mix crumbs with sugar and melted butter until well incorporated.
3. Pour crumb mixture into 9-inch pie pan and press evenly to form a crust. Use the flat bottom of a measuring cup to press down on the crumbs to create a tightly packed crust.
4. Bake in preheated oven for 8-10 minutes. Cool completely on wire rack before adding filling. Alternatively, make pie crust ahead of time and refrigerate until ready to fill.
1. In a medium saucepan, add lime juice, sugar, and agar powder, then whisk until well blended. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for a few minutes. Remove from heat.
2. In a blender, blend tofu until smooth.
3. Carefully pour hot mixture into blender with tofu, then add lime zest and food coloring before blending until well mixed. Let cool to room temperature, making sure to stir periodically to prevent lumps from forming.
4. Once cooled, pour filling into cooled pie crust. Chill in refrigerator for at least 4 hours to set.
5. Top with optional garnish before serving.
Key limes or Persian limes can be used.
Lime zest adds more dimension to the flavors. It's best to zest limes BEFORE slicing them, as it's very difficult to zest afterwards. Do not zest into the white part of the lime, called the pith, as it has a bitter taste.
Make sure the tofu is at room temperature and not chilled. Cold tofu will set the agar mixture too quickly and possibly form lumps. (All Mori-Nu Silken Tofu varieties are shelf-stable and need no refrigeration until opened!)
If you prefer a sweeter pie filling, increase the sugar to 3/4 cup.
For a firmer pie filling, increase the agar powder to 3 tsp.
Try this pie with whipped cream!
PLANT-BASED: We used all plant-based ingredients in this recipe, including agar in place of gelatin. Mori-Nu Silken Tofu Firm takes the place of eggs and dairy while providing a delicious, creamy taste and texture. Make sure to use plant-based butter as well.
GLUTEN-FREE: Look for gluten-free graham crackers and other ingredients. Mori-Nu Silken Tofu Firm is Certified Gluten Free!
PRODUCTS USED FOR THE RECIPE