Tofu Mexican Hot Chocolate
Enjoy a velvety smooth cup of Mexican Hot Chocolate without the dairy!
Mori-Nu Silken Tofu replaces milk in this sweet and spicy recipe that uses a combination of cocoa powder and semi-sweet chocolate chips to create the perfect balance of chocolaty goodness. Cinnamon, vanilla, and nutmeg add warmth, while ground cayenne pepper adds the Mexican twist to a popular beverage.
Traditionally frothed with a “molinillo,” this Tofu Mexican Hot Chocolate recipe can have that same authentic layer of froth from an electric frother or a hand whisk. Either way, it is best served steaming hot with a dash of cayenne powder for an added kick.
Mori-Nu Silken Tofu blends easily to create a creamy and velvety dairy alternative for vegan hot chocolate and other beverages, so you can enjoy your favorite drinks without sacrificing the taste or texture!
1 package Mori-Nu Silken Tofu Organic
3 cups water
2 cinnamon sticks
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, melted
1/4 cup granulated sugar (or more to taste)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground cayenne pepper
Pinch of salt
Dash of ground cinnamon
Dash of ground cayenne pepper
- To a large pot, add water and cinnamon sticks. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- To a blender, add tofu and remaining ingredients, then process until smooth with no lumps.
- Remove cinnamon sticks from hot water, then carefully whisk tofu mixture into the water. Heat over medium heat, stirring occasionally until heated through and well-mixed.
- Serve immediately with optional garnish.
- For a thicker consistency, omit the cocoa powder and double the semi-sweet chocolate chips.
- Mexican hot chocolate is traditionally frothed with a "molinillo" before serving, but an electric frother or whisk can also be used.
- PLANT-BASED: Mori-Nu Silken Tofu adds plant-based protein without the dairy for a thick, creamy, velvety Mexican Hot Chocolate.
- GLUTEN-FREE: Our tofu is Certified Gluten Free! Check for gluten-free labeling on other ingredients as well.
PRODUCTS USED FOR THE RECIPE