Crispy Fried Tofu
Restaurant-style fried tofu is easy to make at home!
With pillowy insides and a crispy, crunchy outside, these versatile silken tofu cubes are perfect for dipping in sauces, soaking in glazes, or flavoring any other way that you can think of.
The secret is to use Mori-Nu Silken Tofu Extra Firm, which has a silky smooth texture for that soft, creamy center in every bite of delicious, pan-fried tofu. Completely covering each piece of tofu in cornstarch will seal in all of that goodness and add just the right amount of chew.
Try this recipe, and you’ll never go back to frying “regular” tofu again! You know, the kind that looks like you’re eating a sponge? Any tofu aficionado will tell you that fried SILKEN tofu is the best kind of fried tofu!
YIELD: 12 pieces
- 1 package Mori-Nu Silken Tofu – Extra Firm
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- Oil for frying
- Sauce for drizzling or dipping
- Wrap block of tofu in a paper towel to let water drain for about 5-10 minutes. Change paper towels as needed. Do NOT press.
- Unwrap, then carefully cut tofu into 6 slices, at least 1/2-inch thick. Cut each slice in half, for 12 squares total.
- In a large pan over medium-low heat, add enough oil to coat the bottom of the pan.
- In a shallow bowl, add cornstarch. Gently cover one slice of tofu completely in cornstarch, then carefully place tofu in the pan. Oil should be hot enough for tofu to sizzle on contact.
- Repeat with each slice of tofu.
- Fry until cornstarch coating hardens to a crisp, then gently flip tofu to cook on other side, adding more oil as necessary.
- Line a plate with paper towels. As each piece of tofu is done, remove from pan and place on plate to let excess oil drain onto paper towels.
- Serve immediately with sauce of choice!
- Seasonings can be added to the cornstarch, such as garlic salt, chili powder, and other spices, if not serving with a sauce.
- To help prevent splatters, coat each slice with plenty of cornstarch so that it seals in the moisture and cooks into a nice shell around the tofu.
- To prevent tofu from sticking to the pan, make sure that the oil is hot before adding the tofu and do not move tofu until a hard crust has formed.
- For a crispier texture, fry on all sides including edges. Level of browning is up to preference.
- Be careful cooking with hot oil and use a splatter screen.
- PLANT-BASED: Mori-Nu Silken Tofu Extra Firm is a good source of plant-based protein that provides all 9 essential amino acids. Serve this fried tofu as an appetizer, as a meal with rice and veggies, or even as the "meat" in a vegan sandwich!
- GLUTEN-FREE: All Mori-Nu Silken Tofu varieties are Certified Gluten Free. Make sure to check labels on other ingredients.
PRODUCTS USED FOR THE RECIPE