Mofongo with Sofrito Tofu
1 package Mori-Nu Silken Tofu Firm, drain, cut in large cubes
2 medium green bananas, peeled and cut in thick slices
1 tbsp soybean oil (vegetable oil)
1 tsp adobo salt seasoning
2-3 garlic cloves, minced
1 tbsp sofrito
1 tbsp tomato paste
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, chopped
1 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- In a large skillet, heat the oil and cook the green banana slices for 2-3 minutes or until soft and golden.
- While hot, place cooked plantains in a medium bowl with adobo seasoning and garlic. Mash until soft, but with some small chunks remaining.
- Divide plantain mixture among 4 ramekins and pat firmly.
- In a blender, blend all sofrito ingredients until smooth.
- In the same skillet, cook the sofrito sauce, tomato paste, and tofu gently for about 5-8 minutes or until all ingredients are well blended.
- To serve, turn out ramekins with formed mofongo on a dinner plate, and serve with a portion of the sofrito tofu