Tofu "Chorizo" Tacos
The deep flavors of Mexican chorizo come to life in this vegan version of a traditional favorite.
Made with Mori-Nu Silken Tofu as a plant-based alternative to the typical animal-based protein used in standard chorizo recipes, these tofu tacos satisfy with a robust flavor profile of paprika, oregano, cumin, coriander, cloves, and cinnamon. Ancho or guajillo chili powder round out the complexity with a smoky heat while adding that unmistakable color of a dark and spicy chorizo.
Perfect for pairing with warm corn tortillas, this tofu ‘chorizo’ can be made ahead of time, refrigerated, and reheated without compromising flavor or texture. Our silken tofu has the versatility to be cooked to a crisp for chewier crumbles, or simply browned in the pan for a chunkier ‘chorizo.’
Enjoy it either way and bring the Mexican flavors of Tofu ‘Chorizo’ Tacos to your kitchen!
2 packages Mori-Nu Silken Tofu Extra Firm
1/4 cup soy sauce
3 cloves garlic, minced
3 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
2 tbsp ancho or guajillo chili powder
1 tbsp paprika
2 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
Salt to taste
6 corn tortillas, warmed
TOPPINGS & GARNISH (OPTIONAL)
red cabbage, shredded
green and red chilis, sliced
red radish, sliced
- In a medium bowl, add all sauce ingredients and mix well. Add tofu and break up into small pieces with a fork, stirring until fully incorporated with the sauce.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook tofu-sauce mixture, letting it brown and crisp while occasionally stirring so it doesn't burn. Turn off heat once it reaches the desired crispness and consistency.
- Assemble tacos with corn tortillas, optional toppings, and garnish.
- Mori-Nu Silken Tofu is ready to eat straight from the box, so unlike meat, you can safely taste the mixture prior to cooking and adjust flavor as needed.
- For a chewier texture, mash it up into smaller pieces and cook it longer.
- Though this recipe is full of flavorful spices and seasonings, it also works with the traditional bottle of hot sauce, dollop of sour cream, and side of guac!
- PLANT-BASED: This recipe uses plant-based protein and is appropriate for vegans and omnivores alike. Mori-Nu Silken Tofu is a complete protein and provides all 9 essential amino acids.
- GLUTEN-FREE: Make sure to use gluten-free corn tortillas instead of flour tortillas and also gluten-free soy sauce or tamari.
PRODUCTS USED FOR THE RECIPE