Vegan Double Chocolate Tofu Donuts
YIELD: 6 donuts
- 3/4 cup Mori-Nu Silken Tofu Firm (refrigerate remaining tofu)
- 1 flax “egg” (1 tbsp flaxseed meal + 3 tbsp water)
- 1/4 cup oil
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup baking flour
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder, unsweetened
- 1 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup Mori-Nu Silken Tofu Firm (refrigerate remaining tofu)
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder, unsweetened
- 4 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375ºF and lightly grease donut pan.
- To a blender, add all WET ingredients and blend until smooth. Pour into a large bowl and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, sift all DRY ingredients together and whisk until well-mixed.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients, then mix until just combined. Do not over-mix.
- Using a piping bag with no tip or an extra-large tip, carefully pipe the batter into each ring of the donut pan, to about 3/4 full, making sure to avoid the center.
- Bake 13 minutes until donuts are firm and spring back to the touch.
- Meanwhile, in a blender, blend all glaze ingredients until smooth.
- Lay parchment paper underneath a wire cooling rack.
- Remove donuts from oven and let cool in pan for 5 minutes, then invert onto wire cooling rack.
- Once donuts are completely cooled, pour glaze on top of all donuts, allowing some glaze to drip down sides onto parchment paper.
- Donuts are best enjoyed immediately!
- In place of a piping bag, a large zip-top bag with the corner cut off can be used.
- For a thicker glaze, add a second layer once the first layer of glaze has dried.
- Save leftover glaze in the refrigerator for dipping strawberries and spreading on toast.
- These donuts are soft and fluffy right out of the oven, but will firm up as they cool, so best to enjoy them right away!
- PLANT-BASED: Mori-Nu Silken Tofu Firm takes the place of dairy in this plant-based recipe.
- GLUTEN-FREE: We used gluten-free 1-to-1 baking flour with excellent results! All of our tofu products are Certified Gluten Free. Make sure to check the labels on other ingredients.
PRODUCTS USED FOR THE RECIPE