Tofu Berry Muffins
YIELD : 12 muffins
- 1/2 cup Mori-Nu Plus Fortified Tofu
- 1 flax "egg" (1 tbsp flaxseed meal + 3 tbsp water)
- 1 1/4 cup flour
- 1 cup almond flour
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup coconut cream
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon zest
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3/4 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 heaping cup fresh raspberries, torn in half
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spray 12-cup muffin pan with non-stick baking spray or put in liners.
- In blender, purée Mori-Nu Plus Fortified Tofu. If blending a full package, set aside 1/2 cup of purée for this recipe. Save rest in fridge for another use.
- In a small bowl, mix flaxseed meal with water and let sit for 10 min to form the flax "egg."
- In a large bowl, mix together dry ingredients (flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt).
- In a medium bowl, whisk together sugar and coconut cream until syrupy. Add remaining wet ingredients (coconut oil, lemon juice, lemon zest, vanilla) plus the tofu purée and flax "egg." Mix well.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients. Mix to combine. Do NOT over-mix.
- Fold in blueberries and raspberries.
- Scoop muffin batter into muffin pan.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool in pan for a few minutes, then remove muffins from pan and cool on cooling rack.
- Best served warm!
- Make your own muffin liners by cutting parchment paper into 5-inch squares.
- For an extra pop of color, save some fresh blueberries and raspberries for pushing into the top of each muffin just before baking.
- PLANT-BASED: This recipe is eggless and dairy-free! Mori-Nu Plus Fortified Tofu creates a moist crumb while adding important nutrients.
- GLUTEN-FREE: We used gluten-free 1-to-1 baking flour (1 1/4 cup) with excellent results! Make sure to check for gluten-free labeling on other ingredients