Cinnamon Apple Tofu Waffles
YIELD : 3 Belgian waffles
- 2 packages Mori-Nu Plus Fortified Tofu
- 2 flax "eggs" (2 tbsp flaxseed meal + 6 tbsp water)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 apples, cored and cubed
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp corn starch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- In a small bowl, mix flaxseed meal with water and let sit for 10 min to form the flax "eggs."
- To a high-powered blender, add dry ingredients, then process into a flour consistency. Pour into a large bowl.
- To the same blender (flour residue is okay), add wet ingredients, then process until smooth and no lumps remain.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients, then mix thoroughly. Batter will be thick.
- While letting batter rest, pre-heat waffle maker and lightly oil grids. Stir batter occasionally.
- To cook, scoop batter into the waffle maker and bake according to waffle maker instructions. Repeat with remaining batter.
- Set cooked waffles on wire rack so they stay crispy, or keep warm in a pre-heated 200ºF oven.
- While each waffle is baking, make the cinnamon apple topping. To a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, add olive oil, then apples, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Cook until apples soften a bit, stirring frequently.
- In a small bowl, stir together the corn starch and cold water to form a slurry. Pour over apples, then stir until starch cooks through and forms a thick sauce.
- Remove from heat and serve over hot waffles.
- Waffle makers vary in size. For a 7" Belgian waffle, scoop a little more than 1 cup of batter for each waffle. Makes 3 full-size waffles with a little batter left for a mini waffle!
- Waffle makers vary in heat settings. Ours took about 8-10 minutes for each waffle to fully bake to a crispy outside with a fluffy inside.
- Any variety of apples can be used, but we recommend a mix of Granny Smith apples and sweet red apples for both tartness and sweetness combined.
- Waffles can be made ahead of time, stored in the freezer with parchment paper in between, then popped into the toaster for a quick and delicious breakfast.
- PLANT-BASED: All ingredients used here are plant-based. This dairy-free and eggless recipe uses Mori-Nu Plus Fortified Tofu to create delicious waffles that are fortified with added nutrition.
- GLUTEN-FREE: Mori-Nu Plus Fortified Tofu is Certified Gluten Free! Make sure to check labels on other ingredients.