Air Fryer Vegan Tofu “Fish”
YIELD : 16 pieces
- 1 package Mori-Nu Plus Fortified Tofu
- Cold water
- 1-2 sheets nori
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 3 tbsp cornmeal, fine or medium grind
- 1 tbsp Old Bay Seasoning
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp ground turmeric
- Cooking oil spray
- Fresh lemon wedges
- Tartar sauce
- Cut block of tofu into 16 bite-sized cubes, or size to preference.
- To a shallow bowl, add enough cold water to soak strips of nori.
- Cut nori into strips long enough to wrap once around a tofu cube and no wider than the cube.
- Set aside. (Do not put in water yet.)
- To a medium bowl, add cornstarch, cornmeal, Old Bay Seasoning, paprika, and turmeric. Mix well.
- Spray a baking sheet or large plate with cooking oil spray. (This will ensure that the underside of the tofu cubes gets oiled, making it easier to move them to the air fryer later.)
- Soak a strip of nori in the bowl of water for 5 seconds or more until soft, then wrap the strip around a tofu cube. Do not shake off excess water.
- While still wet, gently roll the nori-wrapped tofu cube in the flour mixture, covering all sides.
- Place on the oiled baking sheet / plate.
- Repeat steps 6-8 with each of the remaining tofu cubes.
- Let rest for 10 minutes for the flour to absorb the moisture, then spray all cubes with cooking oil spray. (This will prevent white spots of raw flour.)
- Preheat the air fryer according to manufacturer's instructions.
- Carefully place all tofu cubes into the pre-heated air fryer basket, spacing them evenly apart, then cook at 380ºF for 10 minutes until crispy.
- Serve immediately with fresh lemon wedges and tartar sauce.
- Do not try to press or drain all the water from the tofu before using. A wetter tofu is preferred as moisture helps to cook the flour in the air fryer.
- Nori is seaweed typically used for sushi. Do not use snacking seaweed, as those are too thin and will fall apart in water.
- Nori strips should be soaked until they are wet enough to wrap easily around the tofu without falling apart.
- Make sure to preheat the air fryer for best results.
- A trick to moving the floured tofu cubes to the air fryer basket without getting flour stuck to your fingers — and peeling off of the tofu! — is to dab a little oil on your fingers first.
- This recipe can be prepared in a regular oven, but cooking time and temperature may need to be adjusted.
- PLANT-BASED: This air fryer "tofish" recipe replicates the flavors and texture of spicy catfish nuggets, but without the fish or the deep-frying. Make sure to pair it with plant-based tartar sauce.
- GLUTEN-FREE: Mori-Nu Plus Fortified Tofu is Certified Gluten-Free! Check labels on other ingredients.