Coconut Crusted Yuzu Tofu
1 package Mori-Nu Yuzu Flavored Silken Tofu, Firm
Oil for frying
Sweet and sour dipping sauce
1/2 cup cornstarch
1/3 cup coconut cream
3 tbsp brown sugar
2 tbsp soy sauce
3/4 heaping cup shredded coconut, unsweetened
1/2 heaping cup panko crumbs
2 tsp black sesame seeds
1. Cube tofu into 24 bite-sized pieces.
2. Using three bowls, add cornstarch to one, dip ingredients to another, and crust ingredients to the last bowl. Mix dip ingredients until sugar has dissolved, and toss crust ingredients until well-mixed.
3. Gently roll one tofu cube in cornstarch until all sides are coated, then quickly dip it into coconut sauce, wetting all sides before rolling in panko-coconut crumbs.
4. Fry in oil over medium heat, carefully turning each cube to brown all sides. Oil should be hot enough for tofu cubes to sizzle upon contact.
5. Remove tofu from pan and drain on paper towel-lined plate.
6. Repeat with all pieces, cooking in batches and adding more oil as necessary.
7. Serve immediately with a sweet and sour dipping sauce such as plum sauce or spicy chili lime sauce.
No need to wrap tofu in paper towels or dry it off prior to cooking. The moisture is needed to help the cornstarch stick.
When the dip gets low in the bowl, use a spoon to help pour some on top of the cubes to cover all sides. Do not leave the tofu in the wet dip too long or the cornstarch will start to come off.
Sesame seeds tend to settle towards the bottom of the crust mix, so make sure to scoop them back up to the top occasionally for an even coating.
Change oil partway through if leftover coconut pieces are burning. Alternatively, remove leftover coconut pieces to avoid burning.
For a quick sweet and sour sauce, simply mix lime juice with maple syrup or sweetener, to taste. Or select from a variety of pre-made sauces sold at stores.
PLANT-BASED: This recipe uses only plant-based ingredients with no egg and no dairy!
GLUTEN-FREE: We used all gluten-free ingredients. Mori-Nu Yuzu Flavored Silken Tofu Firm is Certified Gluten Free. Make sure to check gluten-free labels on other ingredients.
PRODUCTS USED FOR THE RECIPE
Leave a comment