Creamy Basil Pesto
YIELD : 2 cups
- 1/2 package Mori-Nu Plus Fortified Tofu (refrigerate remaining tofu)
- 2 tbsp pine nuts
- 1 packed cup fresh basil leaves
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a small pan, toast pine nuts over medium-low heat until golden brown, stirring frequently. Let cool.
- In a blender, add the rest of the ingredients along with the cooled pine nuts, then process until smooth.
- Serve with pasta or use as a dip for chips!
- For a stronger basil flavor, use up to 2 packed cups of fresh basil.
- Nutritional yeast is NOT the same as brewer’s yeast. This recipe only works with nutritional yeast.
- 1/4 tsp salt is recommended for a dip, as chips are generally already salty. If using this as a sauce for pasta, add more salt as needed.
- PLANT-BASED: Nutritional yeast provides the "cheesy" flavor that pesto would usually have, while Mori-Nu Plus Fortified Tofu provides the rich creaminess, all without any dairy!
- GLUTEN-FREE: We used all gluten-free ingredients in this recipe, and it's great with gluten-free pasta! Mori-Nu Plus Fortified Tofu is Certified Gluten Free.