Tofu French Toast
YIELD : 6 slices
- 1 package Mori-Nu Plus Fortified Tofu
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp tapioca flour
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 6 thick slices of bread, best if laid out to dry overnight
- Neutral oil or butter for cooking
- Powdered sugar
- Maple syrup
- In a blender, add all custard ingredients and blend until smooth.
- Pour custard into a flat bowl wide enough to fit a bread slice.
- In a medium skillet, heat oil or butter on medium heat.
- Soak one bread slice in custard, flipping until all sides and edges are covered, no longer than 20 seconds.
- Fry on both sides until golden brown, making sure not to move or flip it until custard has browned. (Moving or flipping too soon may result in an uneven crust on the custard.)
- Repeat with rest of bread and custard.
- Serve immediately with optional toppings.
- Dry bread is best for French toast. Soft, moist breads will not hold up well under the weight of the custard.
- If bread is especially thick (such as sliced French bread), fry until both sides are browned, and then carefully pick up the bread with tongs and sear around all sides.
- Nutritional yeast is NOT the same as brewer’s yeast. This recipe only works with nutritional yeast.
- PLANT-BASED: This recipe contains no eggs, dairy, or honey! Make sure to use plant-based butter or oil for frying.
- GLUTEN-FREE: Mori-Nu Plus Fortified Tofu is Certified Gluten Free! Just make sure to use gluten-free bread and check the labels on other ingredients.