Tofu “Egg” Salad Sandwich
YIELD : 2 cups “egg” salad (4 small sandwiches)
- 1 package Mori-Nu Plus Fortified Tofu
- 1/4 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh chives
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh dill
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp yellow mustard
- 1/2 tsp black salt, or salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp granulated garlic
- 1/4 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/4 tsp paprika, plus more for optional garnish
- Ground black pepper to taste
- Bread (toasted optional)
- In a medium bowl, whisk all “egg” salad ingredients together except Mori-Nu Plus Fortified Tofu.
- Cut block of tofu into small cubes, then add tofu to bowl and toss with a rubber spatula until cubes are covered in sauce. To imitate the look of real egg salad, break apart some cubes with the spatula until pieces are uneven shapes and sizes.
- Chill your egg salad mix in the refrigerator for a few hours for flavors to come together before assembling the sandwich, or serve immediately. Garnish with a sprinkling of paprika if desired.
- Nutritional yeast is NOT the same as brewer’s yeast. Nutritional yeast adds a savory, umami flavor to vegan dishes.
- Black salt is also called kala namak. It has a sulfurous smell, which is what gives this vegan recipe a wonderfully “eggy” flavor. Other salts may be used instead, but keep in mind that the flavor will be different and the salt level may need to be adjusted.
- This recipe can be easily adjusted to taste with a variety of seasonings and spices. Try it with minced fresh garlic instead of granulated garlic or with pickle juice instead of lemon juice.
- Do not over-mix the “egg” salad. The goal is to still have some chunks, rather than smashed tofu.
- Lettuce adds texture and keeps the bread from getting soggy. Sliced tomatoes, cucumbers, or other veggies can also be added to the sandwich.
- This vegan “egg” salad is also delicious on crackers instead of bread!
- PLANT-BASED: Mori-Nu Plus Fortified Tofu replaces eggs in this recipe while providing all nine essential amino acids for a complete protein meal that’s both nutritious and delicious.
- GLUTEN-FREE: For a gluten-free version, make sure to use gluten-free bread and check labels on other ingredients. Mori-Nu Plus Fortified Tofu is Certified Gluten-Free!