Tofu Cream of Mushroom Soup
YIELD : 4 cups
- 1 package Mori-Nu Plus Fortified Tofu
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb mushrooms, sliced (save a few for optional garnish)
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tsp dried herbes de Provence
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 3 tbsp cold water
- A few mushrooms, sliced thickly
- Olive oil and soy sauce for sautéing
- Fresh parsley, chopped
- Cracked black pepper
- In a large pot over medium heat, add oil and cook onions until translucent.
- Stir in minced garlic.
- Add mushrooms, vegetable broth, herbes de Provence, and soy sauce. Bring to a boil and then simmer until liquid reduces by half.
- In a blender, add tofu and 1-2 cups of liquid from the soup, avoiding the mushrooms. Process until smooth and no lumps appear, then stir this mixture back into the soup.
- Bring to a simmer again, then add salt and pepper to taste.
- In a small bowl, mix corn starch with cold water and stir until smooth, then slowly stir this mixture into the soup. Continue to stir the soup over medium heat until it thickens and the starch is cooked.
- Prepare optional garnish by sautéing a few sliced mushrooms in a bit of olive oil and soy sauce for a few minutes just to brown the mushrooms.
- Serve soup with mushroom garnish, fresh parsley, and cracked black pepper.
- For a deeper mushroom flavor and a heartier soup, use a variety of mushrooms and increase quantity up to 2 lb.
- Herbes de Provence typically includes bay leaf, but 1-2 bay leaves can be added during the simmering process for added aroma and flavor. Just remember to remove before serving!
- PLANT-BASED: Choose a plant-based broth that has not been flavored with meat-based ingredients.
- GLUTEN-FREE: Mori-Nu Plus Fortified Tofu is Certified Gluten Free! Make sure to use gluten-free soy sauce or tamari, and check labels on other ingredients.