YIELD : 4 cups
- 1 package Mori-Nu Plus Fortified Tofu, drained
- 4 dried pasilla chili peppers
- 1/4 cup pepitas
- 2 tbsp of sesame seeds
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tsp dried oregano leaves or 2 tbsp fresh oregano
- 1/2 tsp anise seeds
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- 2 large tomatoes + 1 medium tomatillo or 1 can (14.5 ounces) whole tomatoes, undrained
- 2 small crumbled toasted corn tortillas or 10 whole tortilla chips
- 3 tbsp peanut butter
- 2 tbsp raisins
- 3-4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/2 Abuelita chocolate tablet
- In a medium bowl, soak the chiles in 2 cups of hot water. Cover and let them rest for 30 minutes and remove to a plate. Once cool, open the chiles and remove the seeds and stem.
- In a large pot, toast the pepitas and sesame seeds for 1 to 2 minutes or until golden brown. Remove them from the pot and put them in a small container.
- In the same pot, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil over low-medium heat. Cook the onion and garlic, mixing occasionally until just tender. Add the tomatoes, oregano, anise seeds, and ground cloves and continue mixing occasionally for 1 minute.
- Transfer the prepared chiles and 1 cup of their juice, the cooked onion and garlic, the tomatoes and their juice, the tortillas, the pepitas, the sesame seeds, the peanut butter, the raisins and the remaining water were the chiles were soaked into a blender. Cover the blender and blend until smooth. Transfer to the pot. In the same blender, add the tofu package to the blender and blend until puree.
- In the same pot, add the puree, broth and chocolate. Cook, mixing constantly for 8 minutes or until puree thickens. Strain for a smoother puree and add more broth, if desired. Serve the mole over chicken, shrimp, tofu, tempeh, enchiladas, tacos, etc. The mole can be frozen for later use.
Other ingredients that may be added to mole are dried guajillo chiles, dried red chiles, dried black chile, cumin, pepper, almonds, cinnamon, peanuts, piloncillo, plantains, and pineapple.