Macaroni and "Cheese"
YIELD 4 cups
- 1 package Mori-Nu Plus Fortified Tofu
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp potato starch
- 4 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp corn starch
- 1 tsp salt, or to taste
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- Pepper to taste
- 4 oz dry pasta
- Water and salt for cooking
- Toasted breadcrumbs
- Fresh parsley, chopped
- In a blender, add all “cheese” sauce ingredients, then process until smooth and no lumps remain.
- Pour sauce into a small saucepan and heat on medium-low, stirring constantly while scraping down sides and bottom of saucepan. Sauce should NOT boil. Reduce heat if needed.
- After a few minutes, the sauce will thicken. Keep stirring to cook evenly. It should come together into a "ball" and no longer stick to the sides of the pan after about 5 minutes. Turn off heat.
- Put this “ball” into a large heat-proof bowl. With a wire whisk, break up the "ball" and whisk several times. The sauce will start to stick to the sides of the bowl and form "cheesy" strands from the whisk.
- Cook pasta according to package instructions, making sure to salt the water. Drain well; do NOT rinse.
- Add cooked pasta to bowl of “cheese” sauce and gently mix to evenly coat the pasta.
- Divide into bowls and serve immediately with optional toppings of toasted breadcrumbs and fresh chopped parsley.
- Nutritional yeast is NOT the same as brewer’s yeast. This recipe only works with nutritional yeast.
- Adjust quantity of sauce to pasta depending on your preferences. Sauce recipe can be doubled.
- PLANT-BASED: This "cheese" sauce recipe contains no dairy!
- GLUTEN-FREE: This sauce works great with gluten-free pasta as well. Mori-Nu Plus Fortified Tofu is Certified Gluten Free!