Jalapeno "Cheese" Dip
YIELD 1 1/2 cups
- 1 package Mori-Nu Plus Fortified Tofu
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp potato starch
- 1 tbsp brine from jar of pickled jalapeños
- 2 tsp corn starch
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder (optional for color)
- 2 tbsp chopped pickled jalapeños
- In a blender, add all ingredients except jalapeños, then process until smooth and no lumps remain.
- Pour sauce into a small saucepan and heat on medium-low, stirring constantly while scraping down sides and bottom of saucepan. Sauce should NOT boil. Reduce heat if needed.
- After a few minutes, the sauce will thicken. Keep stirring to cook evenly. It should come together into a "ball" and no longer stick to the sides of the pan after about 5 minutes. Turn off heat.
- Put this “ball” into a medium heat-proof bowl. With a wire whisk, break up the "ball" and whisk several times. The sauce will start to stick to the sides of the bowl and form "cheesy" strands from the whisk.
- Whisk in chopped jalapeños.
- Serve immediately while warm.
- Nutritional yeast is NOT the same as brewer’s yeast. This recipe only works with nutritional yeast.
- Turmeric and jalapenos will create a greenish yellow color. For a redder color and spicier flavor, add a dash or two of red hot sauce to the blender.
- PLANT-BASED: This is a dairy-free recipe!
- GLUTEN-FREE: We used all gluten-free ingredients, but make sure to check the labels for gluten-free certification. Mori-Nu Plus Fortified Tofu is Certified Gluten Free!